303rd post: Receiving Spam From Myself

When looking through the inbox lately, I would find messages in the spam folder with the sender address being the same as mine ("me" in the case of Gmail). In fact, I have also seen the same for my other accounts. I don't remember what triggered this to happened, but one thing's for sure is that I haven't entered my email address anywhere other than to sign in recent days and all are web-based providers (eg. Yahoo! Mail, Google Mail (Gmail), Microsoft Windows Live Hotmail). It's hard to tell if changing the password would make a difference.

PS, I'm feeling sleepy as I'm typing this, so it would be best if I end here for now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Chances are a contact of yours has some malware that spoofs the from field of the spam email, or that malware has passed on your email to a spam syndicate which does that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing

Not necessarily mean that your com/account has been compromised. Nevertheless it's always good to take precautions by changing passwords, rechecking your com for infections etc.

Popular posts from this blog

Alternate Dimention (Part 27)

Review of Autumn 2008 anime

New Autumn 2008 Anime / Review of Summer & Spring Anime